Future Vision Blog #3: Technological Consideration


Although I have decided to use Google Sites for my final project because of its convenience for students to retrieve their work from other classes through Google Docs, Google Drive, Slides etc.; there are other possible free platforms to consider if students don’t like the option offered to them.  These include WIX, WeeblyWordPress, and other platforms.  Perhaps some, more technologically inclined, students can choose one of these or any other sites they want to use to create their e-portfolio.  However, my school has embraced GAFE, and most if not all teachers, are currently using this platform so it makes perfect sense to align with this.

The reflection piece is the one item that is most important as it demonstrates students’ thinking and experience of the learning process.  In the reflection portion of the e-portfolio, I am still debating whether they should create a blog and link it to their portfolio or just type directly on that page or use the Google announcement page. According to Dr. Helen Barret, a blog is the best tool to document reflection in the portfolio. If I choose to go this way, I anticipate that some of my students may not know about blogs or how to create one, so some of them will need to be taught and supported in that process.  Since we have been blogging this entire course, I feel quite confident in providing instructions to those students that don’t know how to blog.  On the other hand, I feel less confident in teaching students to create videos, specifically the technical hands on how-to aspect of it.  I have not created any kind of video before.  But I’m sure that there is at least one student who is a “techie” and can help out with this process.  This way students are teaching and learning from each other. I too, will learn from my students.  One website that has been most helpful to me is by Dr. Helen Barret.  It contains a lot of information and I will be referring to her site quite a bit as I continue to develop this e-portfolio template.



(Image retrieved from Dr. Helen Barret’s website)



References

Barret, H. (2016). 4-Blogs - ePortfolios with GoogleApps. [online] Sites.google.com. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/eportfolioapps/course-lessons/4-blogs [Accessed 25 Nov. 2017].

Comments

  1. Thanks for the link to Dr.Helen Barret on using google apps to support the e -portfolio i bookmark it as it was so informative. I too would use the students expertise to learn from in creating a video as that would be a challenge and i think its beneficial for students to be teachers. i look forward to your final project using Google sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good discussion of your choices, progress and hesitations for the future. Your choice of using google sites is sound and your experiences blogging through this course will help immensely. You have captured a good amount of ideas throughout our class and your future supporting students in sharing and documenting their own learning will pay off well. Good progress update.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering Cultural Change in Schools with ICT

Future Vision Blog #2:Learner Consideration

Fostering a Reading Culture in Schools