Future Vision Blog #2:Learner Consideration


The process of creating an E-portfolio template for my class is off to a slow start. As mentioned in my previous blog post, I have chosen to use Google Sites for this task since all the students at my current school are already set up to use GAFE. This project is created mainly for my students because I had wanted to have something whereby my students could collect, showcase, and reflect on their learning and explore multiple literacy formats.

Image result
(Retrieved from google Images)

It will also give me insight into how they are learning and how they perceive themselves as learners, thus giving me a fuller and richer picture of who students are as learners.  From my research and readings about E-Portfolios, it helps improve and support learning and self- assessment. It also helps foster reflection, and self- motivation.  For those reasons, I would like to try to implement it in my own classes.

I have created the basic frame or layout.  I am being very mindful of how to word each section clearly and succinctly, I don’t want to overwhelm the learners or make the project seem too complicated for them.  With my students, I know that they will need good examples of what an e-portfolio is and when it comes to the writing component and the reflection portion, some will need writing prompts and sentence starters.  I’m not sure if I want to grade their portfolios or just allow them to collect, produce, and learn organically.  I need to think more about that, if I do then I would use a rubric and students will have the criteria for assessment explained to them in advance.  I have not come across one rubric that I can use readily but I like this rubric and can modify for it my own purposes.

This project and the learning gained from the process will also be shared with my school community through Firstclass as well as my fellow classmates in this course via a Blog and Twitter post.




Reference


Madden, T. (2007). Supporting Student e-Portfolios. New Directions, [online] (3), pp.1-6. Available at: http://Citeseerx.ist.psu.edu. [Accessed 17 Nov. 2017].



Comments

  1. I believe in the portfolio as a means of self assessment and children in Montessori elementary typically always have a portfolio of their best work throughout the year and during the student led conferences in May they share them with their family. Its a great way for them to see their progression throughout the year . Expanding it to the digital sources of work is a natural progression in the information age so your project makes alot of sense and i think students will show greater intrinsic motivation in their completed e portfolios and maybe they can share their work with other students/ family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and feedback, it is helpful to me. I had not used portfolios (traditional or digital form) before since I had been TOCing for the bulk of my teaching career up to the last 3 years and didn't have the opportunity to try it out until now. I have read all about the benefits and I am excited to try this out with my classes.

      Delete
  2. This is quite an undertaking. The connection to so much of the curriculum also makes it very timely, especially when it comes to sharing it out. The process of assessment is a tough one simply because you need to answer the questions of what and why your doing it for. I am very interested in how this works out for you and the student/teacher responses. Sharing out your learning will bring some interesting feedback and questions, I am guessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you. It does feel like quite an undertaking, more so at certain times than others. I plan to implement this slowly, starting with my grade 8 blocks then share out my learning and proceed from there. I too am looking forward to seeing how this plays out in my classes. Thank you for your comments and feedback.

      Delete
  3. Well done post. Your discussion of the platform you have chosen, who it is for, how it will be build and what you hope to achieve. A very important goal with a very useful way to share and distribute it to your school community. I think the portfolio support, role-modeling and direction will be quite useful for your students, as well as for your staff. Good work on sharing your progress so far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering Cultural Change in Schools with ICT

Fostering a Reading Culture in Schools