Reading Review Part B: Literature Research and Data Collection

Part B:  Literature Research and Data Collection

Here are some links to articles that I have researched for my assignment.
Hobbs, Renee. "Digital and media literacy: A plan of action." Washington, DC: The Aspen Institute (2010).
KAHNE, JOSEPH, et al. "Digital Media Literacy Education and Online Civic and Political Participation." International Journal of Communication (19328036), vol. 6, Jan. 2012, pp. 1-24. EBSCOhost, ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ufh&AN=116801475&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
3.     

Chan, B. S. K., Churchill, D., & Chiu, T. K. F. (2017). Digital literacy learning in higher education through digital storytelling approach. Journal of International Education Research, 13(1), 1-16. doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/10.19030/jier.v13i1.9907


Todorova, Margarita, and Georgi Todorov. "Multimedia Technologies and ICT in Organising e-Portfolio for Students." Journal for Perspectives of Economic, Political, and Social Integration 17.1-2 (2011): 105. ProQuest. Web. 22 Sep. 2017.


Cihak, David F.1, dcihak@utk.edu, et al. "Incorporating Functional Digital Literacy Skills as Part of the Curriculum for High School Students with Intellectual Disability." Education & Training in Autism & Developmental Disabilities, vol. 50, no. 2, June 2015, pp. 155-171. EBSCOhost, ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eue&AN=102750349&site=ehost-live&scope=site.

Articles 1 and 2 are of interest to me because it highlights the importance of digital literacy skills and knowledge, and the role and effect it has on an individual’s level of political participation. Both are fairly recent publications and would be useful resources.
 
Articles 3 and 4 both would be useful resources as it offers a couple of ways to implement digital literacy, through storytelling and e-portfolio.  As I am planning to create an e-portfolio with my class as my final project, article 4 is especially relevant to my research. Both articles are also fairly recent publications, in 2011 and 2017 respectively.

The 5th and last article grabbed my attention, naturally as a Special Ed. Teacher, it made me wonder about these student and how much digital literacy education they actually receive, if any. Or do they even have the opportunity to access technology?  What is their level of media/digital literacy upon high school graduation? 

I think google scholar is a good starting point and that is where I started my research before heading over to the UBC library and databases. As my research progress, and the more I read on the various websites and databases, my search terms expanded and was augmented. I stared out with ‘digital literacy education, ’then  ‘digital literacy practices,’ ‘digital learning in high school,’ ‘digital learning using e-portfolio,’ and finally ‘digital learning in special education.’ Reflecting on my list, I think I will need to do more research to find resources from a variety of other sources such as a video or blog. I have only focused on journal articles but will expand to look at other sources as I continue to work toward the final assignment.

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering Cultural Change in Schools with ICT

Future Vision Blog #2:Learner Consideration

Fostering a Reading Culture in Schools